My previous post highlighted the importance of email marketing and it’s #1 choice by online marketers to promote their products/services.
Manually managing an email marketing campaign is not practical nor cost-efficient. Business email marketing software automates the entire email marketing process from building a list of email subscribers to designing and customizing email templates, to creating segmented lists for more targeted emails to be sent out.
With a variety of services, resources, and tools, the software allows marketers to do much more than simply send emails
What is email marketing software?
Email marketing software often comes with email builders, email scheduling features, and campaign automation tools to help you streamline operations. These applications allow you to plan, execute, and monitor email marketing campaigns.
Additionally, they provide marketers with reporting and analytics that will allow them to measure key metrics and fine-tune their strategy.
Email marketing software allows you to split-test campaigns and measure ROI with clear metrics. You can even observe in real time how the campaign is performing with the solution streaming key metrics as they happen.
You can see who click the emails and who opens the emails in real time. This allows you to change the campaign at once for a better outcome.
Purpose Of Email Marketing Software
Pitching an offer should not be the focus of email marketing. The emphasis is to create a relationship, build brand awareness every time a recipient clicks on your email and nurture customer loyalty by providing valuable information that actually helps them achieve a goal that they had in mind when they first subscribed to your email list. Valuable information in the form of free e-reports, discounts, coupons, bonus, news of upcoming promotions, etc.
As earlier mentioned sending bulk emails is a very involved process and time-consuming. The processes include preparing a list, segregating it to subgroups, sending newsletters, and creating feedback reports.
Manually doing all these processes with thousands and even millions of email addresses on the list is just not practical. You’ll need to do mass hiring and for most small to medium size businesses, this is out of their budget. Email marketing software does away with mass hiring and automates much of the manual workflows.
Email marketing software can help businesses of all sizes, in the creation of unique and engaging email marketing campaigns, generate leads with sign up forms and convert opt-in emails addresses into loyal customers, and other forms of digital messaging using basic automation tools and functionality.
Using the software platforms help you in providing a personal touch while keeping your message clear with the capacity to scale for larger audiences.
Through targeted mailing lists creation, email marketing software allow you to reach the desired audience at the right moment. What this means is that email marketing software can help your organization control and segment your audience, and gather tracking information to better understand the influence of each campaign. It takes the guesswork out of the equation which enhances your ROI.
Added functionality of email marketing software is that it enables you split-test campaigns and measure ROI with clear metrics. This functionality helps to optimize your overall marketing budget.
Needless to say, if you’re not using the software in your email marketing campaigns, you’re not realizing your campaign’s full potential.
To summarize the benefits of Email marketing software ( EMS) are as follows:
1. Email Automation. Thousands of emails for a campaign may be sent out at once with a click of a button.
2. Creating Brand Loyalty. The customizable templates within the software can be designed to provide cohesion in all the emails, newsletters and updates a company sends out across all channels. This strategic approach can improve customer engagement, retention and establish brand loyalty in the long run.
3. Customer Segmentation. Segmenting emails list by demographic, socioeconomic, geographic, income, age, gender and so on makes it easy to send targeted recipients relevant content based on their location in the sales funnel. This leads to a higher rate of click and open rates. Imagine sending emails about buying a new sports car specifically targeted towards age group 25- 45 versus sending blasting these emails towards 60 -80 age group. The former customer segment has better clicks and open rate.
Who Uses Email Marketing Software?
Two teams that utilize EMS the most.
1. The Sales Teams. Email marketing is helpful in sales teams for making sales. Understandably sales teams work hand in hand with marketing teams in creating an impactful marketing campaign.
2. Marketing Teams. Designers, writers, developers, and managers planned in advance to create a specific email marketing campaign. Together they made up marketing teams. They contribute to the big picture of a campaign and use email marketing platforms to centralize the workflow.
Email Marketing Software Features.
While all email marketing software products share common features, they also differ in deployment (cloud vs. on-premise) and packaging (integrated within a CRM system or stand-alone app).
The common features of email marketing software are:
1. Advanced Mailing List Targeting — This module enables you to segregate the mailing list into smaller, subgroups based on your metrics. Email subscribers can be categorized into multiple groups that match their profile.
Based on this market segmentation you can conduct specific email marketing campaigns for each targeted group. Some email marketing solutions feature automatic segmentation based on geo-location, demographics, autoresponder feedback, purchase history, and other metrics.
2. A/B testing — Different email sets can be sent to a small group to test different versions of emails to see which email has the best results. You can measure feedback, among other things, on the subject line, design, and copy.
This functionality can be highly effective in improving success rates as it allows for massaging the campaign and send the best-performing email version to the rest of the mailing list.
Additionally, email and mobile preview allows users to catch potential formatting mistakes prior to sending an email in a simplified format of email testing software.
3. WYSIWYG Editor —. ( A WYSIWYG editor is a system in which content (text and graphics) can be edited in a form closely resembling its appearance when printed or displayed as a finished product, such as a printed document, web page, or slide presentation.)
WYSIWYG has an email builder, which is user-friendly that allows you to see how your email appears before launching. The builder includes drag-and-drop functionality, built-in templates, responsive format, and photo editing.
4. Automated email responses — Automated emails responses are ideal for creating general brand awareness, coming on board processes, and personalizing notifications tailored to the recipients.
Customer loyalty is solidified with personalized notifications through continuous email engagement. Recipients are connected with little effort and great efficiency.
5. Merge Tags —. Merge tags is a widget that lets you replace variables in your message with a personal element, usually the recipient’s name, making your email warmth and friendly. Personalizing your emails emotes positive feelings by customers rather than the generic salutations. They are likely to respond this way.
Merge tags can also be used to send coupon codes specific to the recipient and avoid duplicates.
6. Analytic and Reports —. You can gauge the effectiveness of a marketing campaign through analytic and reports in email marketing software. Key metrics like open rates, CTRs, readers’ length of stay on your email, trending content and demographics can be measured.
Additionally, a good deal of email marketing apps come with a built-in real-time campaign tracker feature that streams metrics as they occur. This gives you greater flexibility in shifting the campaign if the results are not what you desired.
7. CRM Integration — Most email marketing software integrates seamlessly with popular CRM solutions. This helps align sales and marketing activities in a symbiotic relationship.
Leads from CRM are added to the mailing list and included in email marketing campaigns. CRM can provide context to your mailing lists, such as demographics, purchase history, and previous engagements. The benefit is that recipients that responded positively to your email can be forwarded to the CRM’s contact management and sales pipeline for lead nurturing.
8. Autoresponders — Autoresponders are used for dripping series of emails in email campaigns to nurture leads. 5 to 7 scheduled emails are crafted in the campaign to welcome the customer, thank the customer, remind the customer, answer a query or honor a request. Essentially autoresponders funnel prospects into sales funnel.
9. CAN-SPAM Act — Spamming is prohibited in the U.S. and EU. This tool ensures your email is CAN-SPAM compliance. The tool analyzes the email for the probability of being blocked by spam filters, broken links, and HTML structure.
Issues Of Email Marketing Software.
Email marketing software is not a holy grail that will solve your lead’s problems, nor does it instantly builds a mailing list for you nor creates sales immediately. You need to be aware of certain issues:
1. CAN-SPAM compliance is worth repeating. The Act is a series of requirements to comply when sending out mass emailing by email marketers. Failure to comply with the CAN-SPAM Act can result in hefty fines. As such it is important for you to verify that the email marketing software you choose complies with the CAN-SPAM requirements to avoid any issues.
2. Spam Filters. Many email providers have spam filters built-in. Gmail, for example, is especially notorious in spam blocking; even opt-in subscription can end up in its promotions tab, away from the main inbox and may never be opened by the recipients. If you’re unaware of this, your campaign is ineffective since the emails are unable to reach its intended audience.
Select good email marketing software that is capable of alerting you for potential spam triggers like generic subject lines, common sales promises, complex layouts, and too much URL links.
3. Customer Abandonment Risk. Without a plan, your emails may end up pissing off customers with messages that don’t interest them or are irrelevant. Potentially this may result in recipients unsubscribing and shrinking your mailing list.
It’s important to strategize your email marketing campaign, use market segmentation and autoresponder to ensure your emails create values to the recipients.
4. Absence Of A/B Testing. Effectiveness of email marketing can be measured with metrics that define the best outcomes. Don’t sabotage the potential of email marketing software by your lack of appreciation of this discipline.
Here are some of the well-known email marketing software tools to choose from:
1. Drip Commerce: https://www.drip.com
2. Salesforce: https://www.salesforce.com
4. iContact: https://www.icontact.com/
5. Salesgrid: https://sendgrid.com.
6. SendInBlue: https://www.sendinblue.com.
7. Bronto Marketing Platform: go.bronto.com/
8. Pardot: www2.pardot.com/
9. MoEngage: https://www.moengage.com
10. Moon Mail: https://moonmail.io/
11. DotDigital Engagement: https://dotdigital.com/
12. Campaign Monitor: https://www.campaignmonitor.com/
13. Tout App: https://www1.toutapp.com/
14. Clearslide: https://www.clearslide.com/
15. Contact Monkey: https://www.contactmonkey.com/
16. Aweber: https://www.aweber.com/
How To Choose Email Marketing Software For Your Company?
Price shouldn’t be the only factor. Here are a few aspects to consider:
1. Most email platforms offer an unlimited number of messages and tiered pricing packages. The package you selected depends on the number of subscribers. So, if you are a small business with a few hundred mailing list subscribers, Free or a small monthly fees software package from Mailchimp is ideal for you. Others may even offer a pay-as-you-go plan like Benchmark.
2. Account settings with email marketing software is a breeze. It usually takes just a few clicks by entering your email address and choosing a monthly plan. It is advisable you start or request a free trial if you are not sure which is the right email marketing software you want.
Free trial for a limited period is mostly available to all new users. Just make sure you cancel before the trial period is over if that’s not what you want, otherwise your credit cards on file will be billed.
3. 24/7 support via phone, chat, or email, as well as comprehensive documentation, is an important aspect to consider before making any purchase especially if you are a novice. Bear in mind, marketing campaigns are usually time sensitive. Unable to send out your Year-End sales newsletter just because of a technical glitch you weren’t able to fix can have a negative impact on your campaign.
4. User-friendly interfaces in the software are paramount for newbies and pros alike. If you want to build your newsletter in HTML, does the software allow you to do that? It is best to choose a platform offering a wide range of templates and stock images you could potentially use.
5. Look for spam filter features in the software. These features allow you to test your messages for spam. They will warn you if your text contains words that might trigger red flags from email providers. After all, you don’t want to see all your beautifully designed messages end up in your subscribers’ junk folders.
6. A good email marketing software offers tracking results so that you can better understand customer behavior. This allows customizable, as well as to A/B split test your messages so that you can constantly improve your marketing campaigns.
The cornerstone for your email marketing campaigns is choosing a good online marketing software no matter the size or the industry. A superior bulk email marketing software will offer you everything you need to design beautiful newsletters, to campaign tracking, auto-responder reviews and to move your marketing campaigns to the next level.
It takes me quite a while to gather all the pertinent facts on email marketing and email marketing software, I certainly appreciate if you could link it to your post or in social media. If you want to share any business ideas, questions and comments please leave them below.
Ahearst is an author & creator of Affiliate Wizard, a website design to help online entrepreneurs & affiliate marketers to create a successful affiliate marketing business. Ahearst is currently in college majoring in business administration.